YORK - (Dow Jones) - The experimental space plane that NASA
cancelled last month may be back flying, but as a weapon for the
military, not the next-generation space shuttle it was primarily
conceived to be, the Washington Post reported Friday. The
Air Force and Lockheed Martin Corporation have approached NASA about
funding the X-33 program through the end of the year while the Pentagon
considers taking it over, several sources said.
Post said NASA walked away from the venture after spending almost
$1 billion in developing the reusable rocket, citing technical delays
and cost concerns, but Lockheed Martin had invested nearly $400
million of its own, and within days of the cancellation it was meeting
with generals about the Air Force becoming the X-33's new patron.